Slightly to play devil's advocate - it's by no means unknown for one
organisation to do the PX for an excavation done by another
organisation. It's been done quite often in relation to 'backlog' sites,
in fact.

The danger in trying to make it difficult for the developer to get
alternative quotations is that they may feel it's just a profession
trying to protect the interests of its own. As I'm sure Lee appreciates,
the developer may not have any real intention of changing horses, but
simply wants to get another (lower) quote which they can use to try and
drive down the price from the original contractor. And seeking another
quote isn't an unreasonable thing to do if you're not happy with the
price you're being quoted (in any walk of life!).

Another tack could be to suggest the developer engages a reputable
archaeological consultant to advise on the PX costs. Once the developer
is confident that they're not being taken for a ride, they may (one
hopes!) be much happier to pay up. It may be that your developer just
wants to feel a bit more in control of the situation, rather than that
they're desperately worried about the cost per se.

Roger Thomas