Hi,

Surely it depends on how categorisation is undertaken and whether dates are recorded explicitly i.e. if a date is known and used to extrapolate the period without then also recording the date then problems will occur if the timelines differ or change e.g. A coin of date 500 is denoted as Roman  by X but by Y would be Anglo-Saxon.

My view was always to record dates.

cheers

Simon

>>> Gregory Chuter <[log in to unmask]> 05/08/2008 09:04 >>>
Hi Phil
The RCHME time line does not match the HBSMR time line we currently use.
Will there be an amendment to this at some stage in line with the EH
review of periods / timelines?.

Probably opening a whole can of worms here, but the RCHME time line also
differs from the one defined by our currently running South East
Research Framework. These differences between data sets / projects will
surely cause problems for research and data collection in the future.
Greg Chuter,
Assistant County Archaeologist
East Sussex County Council, Transport and Environment, County Hall, St
Anne's Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1UE
Tel: 01273 336177, Fax: 01273 479536, Mob: 07500123634
E-mail: [log in to unmask]