Dear William,

just to point out that there can be nothing that can be construed as 'religious' as part of a Civil Marriage, though Superintendent Registrars vary in their strictness of interpretation. Essentially, your blessing has to follow the civil ceremony as a separate event. You can 'conduct' the civil ceremony so long as you do not mention God during that part of the proceedings.

Nigel
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ruddle, William
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 1:17 PM
Subject: Urgent: Marriage Blessing In Hospital

Dear All,

We have a civil marriage occurring in the hospital tomorrow afternoon for a palliative patient who has a prognosis of days.

The couple are not religious at all, but have asked for a blessing and for me to somehow `conductí the event as the superintendent registrar attends to perform the legal marriage.

Does anyone have anything appropriate I could borrow/adapt? This is very last minute I know, but if I can avoid burning the literal, midnight oil on this Iíd be appreciative.

Thanks

William