Dear William,

just to point out that there can be nothing that can be construed as 'religious' as part of a Civil Marriage, though Superintendent Registrars vary in their strictness of interpretation. Essentially, your blessing has to follow the civil ceremony as a separate event. You can 'conduct' the civil ceremony so long as you do not mention God during that part of the proceedings.

Nigel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ruddle, William
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 1:17 PM
  Subject: Urgent: Marriage Blessing In Hospital

  Dear All,

  We have a civil marriage occurring in the hospital tomorrow afternoon for a palliative patient who has a prognosis of days.

  The couple are not religious at all, but have asked for a blessing and for me to somehow `conduct' the event as the superintendent registrar attends to perform the legal marriage.

  Does anyone have anything appropriate I could borrow/adapt? This is very last minute I know, but if I can avoid burning the literal, midnight oil on this I'd be appreciative.

  Thanks

  William