Annabel,

It would be important to know what you meant by 'debriefing'.  There is no
evidence to support Psychological Debriefing (PD) or Critical Incident
Debriefing (CSID), for the victims of Trauma.

The Dudley Borough Crisis Support Team, which I am a member of have now been
trained to use the Trauma Support Model , which is an evidence bases pathway
that is support continuum for victims of trauma from the point of incident.
It is in effect a supportive way of assessing and identifying those people
involved who may be at risk of going on to develop PTSD.

I've outlined the Model attached:

It is not a rigid model.  It should be applied reflexively, and with
competence. Trauma support session 2 is a short review using an evidence
based Trauma Screening Questionaire that seeks to identify the degree of
Acute Stress symptoms and therefore the risk of developing PTSD.

The rational is the evidence that most (65 -75%) of those who have
experienced a traumatic event recover (some even grow from the experience),
without any further treatment.  However some (25 -35%) will remain
symptomatic for up to 3 years or longer an may develop secondary problems.
It is this last group that Trauma Focussed psychological treatments such as
CBT can be directed to if the screening process is administered.

The training was initially provided by Suzanna Rose, Berkshire Healthcare
NHS Trust, but latterly by Gerry Jackson who is a consultant and counselor
in stress management.  Gerry also trained a team within the Mental Health
Acute Unit comprising Band 6 and 7 Psychiatric Nurses to provide staff
support to staff who experience trauma in the work place.

Often staff involved in caring in traumatic circumstances find value in
informally 'defusing' following incidents it has been found that such non
structured responses to critical incidents lead to break time conversations
being dominated by the incident for one or two days and were individually
negative about performance and critical about the system.  Formal processes
of 'defusing' and support have been found to promote the opposite.

I am happy to continue the conversation outside of the forum is required to
clarify.

Mark Stobert

Chaplaincy Team Leader

Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust,

Russells Hall Hospital,

Dudley West Midlands,

DY1 2HQ.

T.N 01384 456111  ex 2352  sec. 2244

Mobile 07786 510217

This electronic mail, including any attachments, is strictly confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. The opinions expressed in this email
are those of the individual, and are not necessarily the views of The Dudley
Group of Hospitals NHS Trust. This communication may contain information
protected by law from being passed on or circulated. If you are not the
intended recipient and have received this email in error, you are advised
that any use, printing, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform the sender that this
message has gone astray before deleting it.

  _____