 Thanks all for the help. I will wait the fix for the initial
registration.

Herve

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ashburner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 12:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] SPM5 segmentation

Geoffrey is entirely correct.  The initial registration (and other parts
of the segmentation) are a bit less robust because the model of the head
only includes information about the distribution of GM, WM and CSF.
There is no information in the model about where to expect bone or soft
tissue outside the skull.  I am currently trying to generate further
tissue probability maps with a few more classes so that the head is
rather better modelled.  This makes the initial affine registration much
more robust, as well as allowing the CSF to be more accurately
identified.  One of the issues with doing this is that a higher
dimensional warping needs to be used, such that unusual faces, thick
necks etc do not adversely influence the deformations within the brain.
If a limited registration model with only about 1000 parameters is used
(ie the cosine transform basis functions), then this would reduce the
accuracy with which the tissue probability maps can be overlaid on the
image.

It's only work in (slow) progress, but it seems to help.

Best regards,
-John