I'm not sure exactly what AFNI's 3x4 matrix represents, but you probably just
need to change the header information for SPM to be happy with the files.
Note that I would suggest only applying a rigid-body transform to the headers
(using spm_get_space), so the extra stuff (zooms and shears) should be
factored out from the affine transform.  If you apply a full affine
transform, then any volumetric measurements will be a bit off and it is
likely that the registration procedures in SPM will be sub-optimal (because
it "knows", a priori, roughly how much to zoom a typical head to match it to
the MNI data).

Best regards,
-John