Hi there,

Stupid question on spatial smoothing: does SPM compute a sort of mask
for the brain before smoothing or simply smooth all data? (thus mixing
up non brain and brain tissues on the edges)

Another, maybe less stupid ( :-\ ), question is: if I observe an effect
in a small region (a nucleus) in VBM with a FWHM of 8mm but not at 4mm
nor at 12mm ; Am I right to assume that's because my filter matches the
signal? (at 12mm I may mix the data with non brain hence a drop of  the
effect but at 4mm this should not - the observed effect is thus not
related to smoothing mixing up data but related to the spatial size of
the effect)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Cyril

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.