Hi Glenn,

in picking up on your post, substituting 'task', 'challenge' or
'puzzle' for 'problem', still seems to construct the design space as
a site of struggle in some way - which might also seem contrary to
the idea of design as collaboration (or is collaboration also seen as
a site of struggle, challenge, puzzle?).

In thinking through what this might mean while walking my children to
school, I wonder what might happen if we trouble this perhaps
adversarial construction to allow for a 'collection' of words
('working across multiple design sectors') rather than a single
(problematic) term, that provide for descriptions of the design space
as other than problem/task/challenge? Words like synchronic,
serendipitous, synergous, might open a broader space for discussion
about certain phases of the design process that disrupt the binary of
'smooth/problematic' temporal narratives of how it works in design -
I prepare my children's school lunch, wonder what I might cook for
dinner, worry about the (lack of) thesis writing, and think through a
tricky wine label design I have been working on for six months. I go
hear the Dalai Lama speak and lunch with a self-described 'housewife
who sits in the corner' from Warren, who is also the ex-Mayor of
Nyngan, and from a family of fifth generation Merino sheep farmers
who recently switched to wine production and exporting - she
pragmatically suggests a way forward, while I am 'inspired' to
produce an entirely different illustration than the one that remains
problematic for me and the client. What are these sites? Do they
arise from my struggle alone? Do they emerge from synchronous random
events that are not about design and also not about struggle? Or is
this simply another site of struggle? (after all, I did go hear the
Dalai Lama speak). Are they then legitimate sites/spaces for design
work? Can the housewife/ex-mayor be a collaborator in my design work?
Is there space in this collaboration for other (future) work?

Can we conceive of a productive and 'collaborative' space as a coming
together (is this merely unproblematised collaboration?) of
things/ideas/views/perceptions, that produces other things
(ideas/processes/partnerships/products), or from which other things
might emerge, not in a strictly linear, sequential or temporal
manner, but, as Deleuze and Guttarri (1975, previously referenced)
suggest, rhizomic, and/or as Patti Lather (2007) suggests
'polytemporal', in that working on a current issue/job/outcome that
already is, I might also predict that which is yet to come (a line of
flight predicting a future thought/enterprise/process). Am I not
collaborating with myself in a polytemporal space which specifically
focuses on possibilities rather than resolutions? Not sure.

cheers, teena

Lather, Patti, 2007, 'Getting Lost', State University of New York Press, Albany