Dan,

Thank you for your suggestion. I read couples of essays in Passionate Views already, which are certainly helpful.  Still I am not clear about the concept of "affects".

In the first essay Noel Carroll takes emotions as a subset of affects, and characterizes "affect" as something "cognitively impentrable". It appears to me that "affect" here is characterized negatively. Likewise in Matt Hills's Pleasures of Horror. So what exactly is "affect"? Also, does "affect" in Carroll's sense take no object, or does it refer to mere bodily sensations like visercal stirrings? And what's difference between "affect" and "mood" ("mood" as discussed in Smith's Local Emotions, Global Moods"), at least in the cognitivist's framework?

Questions as such are "haunting" me...(not to mention Deleuzian affects). So if anyone can any suggested source of reference, kindly share with me. Thank you!

Lorraine Yeung

"Shaw, Dan" <[log in to unmask]> 說:
Look for Smith and Plantinga's Passionate Views: Film, Cognition and Emotion

"For beauty is the beginning of terror we are still able to bear, and why we love it so is because it so serenely disdains to destroy us" Rilke's First Duino Elegy

Daniel Shaw
Professor of Philosophy and Film
Lock Haven University
Managing Editor, Film and Philosophy
website: www.lhup.edu/dshaw

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**

Yahoo!推出全新 @ymail.com 電郵地址,快D登記你的新身份!了解更多 * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **