It was very obvious in the public inquiry about the A303 proposals that those promoting the scheme did not want to fully acknowledge the important interrelationships between monuments within the WHS. Indeed it seemed to me that they were trying quite hard to avoid admitting that there was any interrelationship..?

Of course. When you are proposing driving another?two miles of new dual carraigeway through the heart of a whole collection of inter-related monuments you have to concentrate on the benefits you are bringing to the central one alone else your whole thesis collapses.

Interestingly, the emphasis has completely reversed now (thank goodness) and it's the unity of the landscape as a whole that is being highlighted. I suggest that posterity will judge that the WHS had a very narrow squeak at the start of the twenty first?century and The Treasury may well be seen as the Great Conservationists...