You are dead on, Vince,

The direct brain/net interface you speak of is not just a possibility it is
inevitable. It is just a matter of time, barring, of course, the major
catastrophe you mention.

Well said, Vince.

Orion

At 03:25 PM 7/25/2008 +0100, you wrote:
>Well, here's my Friday 2p on the subject...
>
>I've thought about this very question in the past, and I think the
>simple truth is that the rules are changing. My guess is that assuming
>no major catastrophe happens, technology will finally get the upper hand
>of natural selection in the near future, and that technological changes
>will be made, building on the work so far done in artificial limb work,
>electronic/neural direct interfaces and miniaturising organs, such as
>artificial kidneys. Direct brain / net interfaces can't be far off now,
>and widespread adoption of this would surely change the nature of all
>participating societies on the planet.
>
>My guess is that some societies will adopt these plans, change ever-more
>rapidly, and presumably at some stage leave the planet and head off,
>leaving the more traditional societies behind.
>
>With more traditional societies, it's more difficult to judge, but I
>think it will be difficult to avoid the creeping in of new technologies:
>I was particularly struck by a picture in Fortean Times recently where a
>crowd in Nigeria had attacked a woman because they thought she had
>changed into a cat.. and most of them were photographing her on their
>mobile phones!
>
>'Technology will be not only more amazing than we imagine, it will be
>more amazing than we can imagine'
>
>Vince
>
>Vince Russett
>County Archaeologist
>North Somerset Council
>
>Please note my new telephone number:
>Land line: 01934 426456
>Mobile: 07917 265644
>Facsimile: 01934 426605
>Please note all requests for HER data should be sent to my colleague
>Sarah MacLean: [log in to unmask]
>
>Providing an archaeological service for North Somerset

Somerset Council for the use of the named individual or entity to which it
is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise
confidential.  If you have received this email transmission in error, please
delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the
sender of the error by reply email.
>Any views expressed within this message or any other associated files are
the views and expressions of the individual and not North Somerset Council.
>North Somerset Council takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that no
viruses are transmitted with any electronic communications sent, however the
Council can accept no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting
directly or indirectly from the use of this email or any contents or
attachments.