Dear Colleague,

In a couple of weeks time I have to contend, in open debate with Max Coltheart, with the
issue of functional neuroimaging and cognitive theories. I suspect this debate will center
on whether functional neuroimaging has been able to disambiguate between competing
cognitive theories.  I thought it might be nice to list what our community considers to be
good examples of this (if there are any).

If you had time, could you discuss this with your colleagues and email me

your favorite example of neuroimaging in resolving questions posed by [competing]
cognitive theories?  I would be most grateful.  Could you respond to my email above
(as opposed to or in addition to the help-line)?

With many thanks in anticipation,

Karl

ICP Congress 2008: XXIX International Congress of Psychology

Functional neuroimaging has already told us a lot about cognition: Yes or No?
Methods of functional neuroimaging are used in a steadily increasing number of scientific studies in psychology, the neurosciences, or economics. While these studies have, without doubt, helped develop our knowledge about brain functions, the issue addressed in this debate is to what extent they also have contributed to a better understanding of cognition.

Monday, 21 July, 15.00 – 16.30 h,
Hall 6
Moderator
Arno Villringer, Berlin Neuroimaging Center, Germany
Debaters
Max Coltheart, Macquarie Centre for Cognitive Science, Sydney, Australia
Karl Friston, Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, London, United Kingdom