Dear Experts,

I have an event-related design with two conditions that were defined post-hoc individually per subject: Condition A vs. Condition B.

The problem in that design is that we have an unequal number of trials per condition depending on the subject. On average we have 50 trials in condition A and 25 trials in condition B. In addition, there is a huge variability between subjects, so there are some participants with 40-40 and some with 10-70 trials, for instance.

The t-contrast between both conditions yields a much stronger activation pattern for the contrast B > A than for A > B. Stated differently, there is more activation in the condition with less trials.

So my question is: Is the unequal number of trials in the t contrast problematic for the statistics? And, if yes, is there a way how I can control for that?

Thank you so much for your answers in advance.

Best regards from sunny Zurich,

Roland

ETH Zurich

Dr. Roland H. Grabner