Dear Kathryn,

Yep - the quality without a name - for me this is found in the making and it is obvious in the patterning when the patterning is "natural" which is to say it has about it the quality of "self arising" which is what natural means.

The city is NOT a tree - not because the city is not natural - but, because the city IS natural in as much as its patterns arise naturally. Patterns that are imposed have the tree structure. Trees do NOT have the pattern of a tree - they are trees.

cheers

keith

>>> Kathryn Simon <[log in to unmask]> 06/26/08 11:02 PM >>>
Keith

I hadn't meant so much as his "pattern languages" as his search for the
natural-the quality without a name.
Poetry and resonance of great writing and great work finds a cadence that
hits-that connects. I meant to say
only that this is something that can still be found in design and somehow
(this is purely intuitive for this moment)
in textiles.

As a former textile designer I am familiar with the process that is created
which seems substantively different than
the process of designing clothing. Perhaps this quality exists in the
original construction and then gets lost.

--
Kathryn Simon
VERMILLIONmedia

Cultural Producer & Curator