Two studies in this area are:

BMJ 7 Aug 1999;319:358-361 - observational studies of 103 family doctors
in Iowa, USA.  64% of questions raised in consultations were not
immediately pursued, but 80% of those that were pursued were answered.
Of 1101 questions, only 2 led to a formal literature search.

Annals of Family Medicine Jul-Aug 2007;5(4):345-352 - study of GPs in
Spain.  3511 patient consultations raised 635 clinical questions (0.18
per consultation).  Doctors searched for answers to 22.8%.

In both studies it was found that doctors spent an average of 2 minutes
or less attempting to answer each question.

Regards

Tom

Tom Burnham

Pharm-line Database Manager