Call for Papers: Habitus of the ’Hood

The ’hood has come to embody both the utopian and dystopian aspects of
low-income urban areas. It represents a collective sense of community as
well as a marginalized and often criminalized space/place. The popularity of
the term “’hood” (slang for neighbourhood) is generally associated with the
emergence of hip-hop culture. Today, however, the term encompasses much more
than the young, predominantly black subculture from which it originated.

The concept of the ’hood is both liberating and limiting. Residents
associate certain life possibilities with their surroundings. This has both
real and symbolic consequences for individuals inside as well as outside
this environment. Bourdieu’s notion of habitus, a “system of durable,
transposable dispositions” that form “principles which generate and organize
practices and representations,” is a valuable tool for analysing the ’hood.
Examining the ’hood from the inside, we would expand Bourdieu through a
reading of Robin Cooper’s concept of a “dwelling place” as “a kind of
knowing one’s way about...[that] implies a freedom to move in some domain or
other, which is more akin to sure-footedness.” We also note Cornell West’s
distinction between the ’hood and the neighbourhood as a division between
extreme individualism and collective identity. Finally, we would suggest the
’hood as concept à la Deleuze and Guattari, constituted as “revolutions and
societies of friends, societies of resistance, because to create is to
resist; pure becomings, pure events on a plane of immanence.”

Our collection explores how this space is conceived within the lived
experiences of residents and within mediated representations of the ’hood in
popular culture. Whether fictional or documentary, representations of one’s
environment embodies potentialities. Like habitus, the ’hood is “the active
presence of the whole past of which it is the product.” This relationship
will be explored in our collection through various methodologies including
(auto)ethnography, textual analysis, critical discourse analysis and mixed
methodologies.

We are soliciting two-page (500 words) proposals for our anthology to be
published by 2009. We encourage submissions from a broad range of
disciplines including cultural studies, geography, history, psychology,
sociology, and other arts and social sciences. Please send your submission
no later than September 1, 2008 to Dr. Hans Skott-Myhre, Brock University,
[log in to unmask] and Chris Richardson, University of Western Ontario,
[log in to unmask]. Attach the abstract in the format of a “.doc” or “.rtf”
file along with a brief biographical note (max. 250 words). Completed
chapters of approximately 25-40 pages will be due in late December, 2008.
For questions or comments about this collection, please contact us through
the e-mail addresses above.

---

The University of British Columbia has posted a position competition notice for a Project Manager to be involved in the development of an environmental and sustainability education program.

The posting is available online at
http://www.hr.ubc.ca/files/postings/main.html#management
See "PROJECT MANAGER - Office of the President"

---

Currently, the University of Saskatchewan is recruiting for the following leadership position that reports to the Provost and Vice-President Academic:

Executive Director, School of Environment and Sustainability
http://www.usask.ca/vpacademic/recruitment/employment.php