On 14/5/08 7:10 PM, "Simon Biggs" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In the sciences it is quite normal for the university to claim IP
> rights over new knowledge or to develop shared ownership models if ideas and
> inventions are spun out into industry. As yet I am not aware of this having
> happened in the creative arts...but I can see it coming.

Simon,

This is something ANAT has been dealing with the past couple of
years in relation to our art/sci residency programs. Whilst not strictly
creative arts only, collaborations between artists and science/research
institutions throw up all sorts of challenges around IP for exactly the
reasons you mention: generally artists own their IP, generally institutions
own their employees IP..

For this reason, it generally takes 2-3 months of liaising before we can
lock off contracting for each residency and this usually entails joint
ownership.

Cheers
Vicki