Dear Susan et al,

Thank you for all your comments about the LOtC quality badge scheme which I understand and empathise with.  As part of the LOtC national advisory group I can assure you that all these points have already been well made - and will continue to be made.

The main aim of the quality badge is to improve the quality of learning which children experience when outside of the classroom.  In fact, the whole process of acquiring the badge is being designed to be a learning or CPD opportunity for providers (particularly the small ones) and to encourage best practice - rather than being a bureaucratic exercise.  So please see the introduction of the quality badge as an opportunity for us to reflect upon and articulate what we do at the moment, and to improve the quality of learning experiences.  (It's what most of us do anyway isn't it?)

In such a short email I cannot begin to explain everything about the badge.  Over the last year we have run two one-day conferences on LOtC and provided updates by email and in the GEM News.  However, I'm sure you will be pleased to know that GEM is planning a series of briefing/training sessions beginning in the autumn to help providers acquire the badge, and we shall also be working on the production of some online training materials.

The quality badge scheme is being piloted at the moment with its launch planned for September and it will begin to go live next year.  There is some information on the quality badge scheme on the GEM website http://www.gem.org.uk/lotc/lotc_news/lotc_news_feb08.html, and I can also email the latest LOtC email newsletter to anyone who hasn't seen it.  (I'm sorry the latest ones are not yet on the website - they soon will be!)

The launch of the quality badge scheme and the "how to" guidance, and the formation of the LOtC Council will I think have a considerable impact on learning within the heritage and other sectors for many years to come.  At present, perhaps not enough people are aware of what is about to happen.  LOtC is a joined-up approach involving DCSF, Ofsted, QCA, LEAs, directors of childrens services etc as well as users and providers of course.  My feeling is that once major elements of LOtC are announced in September it will have a much higher profile.  Naturally, GEM members like to be "ahead of the game" - so please keep the questions coming, particularly during this pilot stage when it is possible to change things.  I can't promise to answer every question immediately, but I can promise to pass your questions on to those working on the quality badge scheme, and to provide regular updates on progress and answers where possible.

Best regards

John

Dr John Stevenson
Director