To begin with, I personally embrace open source, have participated in
various open source programming projects, and have just completed a year
long project of my own which takes open source as one of its aesthetic
bases (http://net18reaching.org/cityscapes).  I particularly I like
Gabriel's formulation, that open source should be viewed as a kind of
"poetics".  But there's a distinction between what might be a poetics of
Open Source and what open source means for programmers.  For the
programmer, it has come to be a way of putting as many heads together as
possible to guarantee the best outcome.  As a poetics, as we see from
this thread, it generally means one of two things--control over one's
work and its aesthetic outcome, or some form of communal/social
enterprise with egalitarian and altruistic motives.  Interestingly, in
defining Open Source in "the Cathedral and the Bazaar", Eric Raymond
sees OS as an ego-driven enterprise, the defining vocabulary for which
is capitalism.  That this attitude is out there in Raymond-land was made
real to me just recently when I found myself on the receiving end of it.

When poetics means some control over one's work, I think we have to look
at contexts.  Over a decade ago,  I was involved in Rhizome discussions
about Flash, which had just appeared. I felt that Flash imposed
pre-formed visual ideas on art works.  I used much the same terminology
as Dominic, seeing the art work as being taken over by external
metaphors.  The other thing that bothered me was that it channeled art
into forms for which commercial needs had priority over aesthetic.

But perhaps I was taking took puritanical a view.  For, the question, I
think, is how far one wants to push the quest for purity.  Or I should
say "how far back?"  Because behind Flash is the browser, which comes in
different flavors, each with different capacities, and behind the
browser is the GUI, generally based on the "windows" metaphor, though
there are 3D and cubic formats.  Or we could strip away the GUI and, in
Unix fashion, use a totally text-based interface, but this itself is a
metaphor for the manipulation and storage of data--a more "technical",
geeky metaphor, but a metaphor nevertheless.  Each of these is a
framework, a metaphor for one's view of things, into which a work has to
fit itself and which will inevitably shape meaning.  Good work will
always make an attempt to be aware of the framework, rather than being
its unwitting expression.  And this goes for any work, including Open
Source.

Open source as a metaphor for communal values is something else.  Here
we are talking about what I like to think of as a poetics of space, in
particular of the space we inhabit on the Internet.  At its best, it is
a vast, empowering imaginative space, which transcends the egoisms that
Eric Raymond would make its foundation.  And here I think artists have
an important place, to  keep up the pressure to aestheticize that space
and keep it human.

Myron Turner

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Free Software is too content with simply reverse-engineering or
> micking the cramped sensoriums of proprietary software. Copying
> Microsoft Word feature-by-feature and opening up the source code is
> not freedom. Mimesis is misery." It's easy to see what that means if
> we compare Cinelerra (a powerful Final Cut / Adobe Premiere mockup) to
> Pure Data (a dataflowing programming language devoted to
> audio/video/multimedia). Both are open source software/ frameworks,
> and both are used to produce audiovisual, but in a radically different
> way.
>
> Cinelerra framework insists on the closed ouvre, on the separation
> between production and consumption (i.e., producers and consumers),
> while Pure Data explodes this completely. In fact, every "movie" made
> in puredata is actually a software piece, processual systems naturally
> open to interventions and contaminations.
>
> All in all, I think that, if we're to think open source seriously, we
> must look at it as a particular poetics, not only as a collection of
> products ou a community.

Myron Turner
http://www.room535.org