From: From: Local-History list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malcolm
Sent: 28 April 2008 12:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Weddings

If the Warrington widow was Jewish, it was probably not illegal. My grandfather married his widow's sister. This was not an unusual occurrence.

--
Malcolm Shifrin

Visit our website, a not-for-profit educational project based in the UK

http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/

GATLEY David A wrote:

Most interesting.

I've found an interesting case in Warrington of a widow marrying her brother-in-law sometime in the mid-nineteenth century. Illegal but then who is likely to have cared.

As a side my own niece in the United States married her husband twice without divorcing him. The first time 'in front of a justice' having eloped, and the second time as a formal US wedding in a church with all the trimmings.

David