Radio discussion of Newton's laws of motion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_20080403.shtml

Newton maintained that he was modelling gravitation, not hypothesizing ('hypothesis non fingo'), and as such it will be eccentric to suppose he could be supplanted by an empirical hypothesis. Nevertheless, Newton did speculate that his metaphysics led to the reasoning, gravity therefore God. The transcendent unity represented by gravitation has led me to conclude that the cosmos encapulates celestial bodies as a concomitant to the capacity the conscious mind has for encapsulating ideas. The constitution of God is the source of both the innate constitution of conscious minds and also of the cosmos. When assemblages of God's various 'instincts' - if such be an appropriate term - are encapsulated in the form of the constitution of a mortal mind, so the objects of the cosmos are rendered palpable - via the fundamental constants of nature, the very immutability of which underlies physicality. Moreover, such an imposition of a determinate arrangement of the parts of God thrusts them out of their more natural, unified state, and this is the source of the perpetual tensions and physical operations evidenced by Newtonian mechanics.

-- (Mostly paraphrased from my book 'The Birth of Three Sides: A Theory of Dimensionality'  (Ashgate, 1997))

Tom