I think that that practice does not meet legal requirements, but I also
know that others (including very reputable companies) do not take that
view.

On the face of it, money-quote (and their "associates") arguably did get
your consent (in that you could have decided to go elsewhere). Looking
at the page you sent it contains a click just above the line: "By
submitting this form you are consenting to your information being passed
to an associate of MoneyQuote who may contact you."

As I say, some would take the view that you opted-in as you then
proceeded to click. (And why should a click be any different from a
tick?)

I am inclined to the view that such a reading of the opt-in requirement
under PECR all but disintegrates any distinction between opt-in,
opt-out, soft opt-in, or whatever.. and your reaction to such a result
shows how unfair it really is.

... but I was (surprisingly) faced with precisely that type of argument
when negotiating FPN language with data protection lawyers at one of the
world's biggest banks, in relation to a co-marketing initiative with my
client, who took the same view as money-quote seem to have taken: if you
buy our service, and we tell you what we are doing, then you opt-in to
what we are doing.

Renzo