In message
at 14:40:56 on Fri, 11 Apr 2008, "Tinsley, Chris"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Many of you may have seen articles about Poole BC using RIPA
>legislation for the surveillance of parents and children in areas where
>schools are oversubscribed and people may be lying about living in the
>catchment area. See
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7341179.stm

What I don't understand is why they are checking where someone lived in
February, when the qualifying date for residence was apparently in
January.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/apr/11/localgovernment.ukcrime

>Is this another case of sledgehammer and nut? Is the use of the
>legislation justified in this case?
>
>This seems to me like a very heavy handed use of legislation that was
>designed to be used in cases of terrorism and serious crime

Only the wiretapping parts of RIPA are reserved for Serious crime, most
of the rest is OK for any crimes, as long as the investigative activity
is *proportionate*, which is a good question to ask in this case
(putting aside the Jan/Feb issue for a moment).
--
Roland Perry