Commercial damage?  Well, no.  But the other side of the issue is a
better return on investment.  The whole point is to render a better
return to shareholders, and that means spending fewer pennies for each
pound earned.

Managing a huge database has a large cost, a scalable cost.  Data has a
quantifiable value, and that value is the greater if permissions are
gathered and acted upon.  Marketing to that dataset effectively both
costs less and creates a better yield.  And a strong part of that is
that the PECR militates towards good and permission based practices.

Prior to the PECR I worked as a consultant to Peoplesoft, then not under
the Oracle umbrella, to help them cleanse their database and introduce
Permission Based Marketing initially in Europe.  Their sales enquiries
went DOWN and their profitability went UP, both substantially.  And
their reputation, even in the difficult time of a hostile takeover, went
sky high.  Reputation risk from poor marketing all but became a thing of
the past.  And their ability to respond properly to the very few
complaints they still received (people still forget that they have given
permission) saved them quite large costs that they would previously have
incurred to investigate and resolve them.

Commercial damage is damage to the bottom line when all is said and done