I think that Dona has missed previous BASA emails on this matter, and should look back at the contributions of those of us who had something to say. We should go the BASA's July Conference with a general view of the term 'Black History'. We are not discussing the word Black, but the term Black History and how it should be delivered in British Schools.

I remember the previous BASA contributors' agreeing that Black History should focus mainly on the histories of African people and Africans in the diaspora, and of the histories of Asian people in Africa and the West Indies, and of their diaspora.

Arthur

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:27:12 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: BASA EDUCATION CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT: 12 JULY 2008
To: [log in to unmask]

I am not of the opinion that discussions around Black history should continue to promote the notion of anything that is not White being considered Black.

It is my understanding that Black refers to people of the African diaspora. To use the term Black in reference to Chinese, Indian or visible 'minorities' contributes to this notion of 'othering' (white vs. other) that does not take into account or recognize cultural, historical, and social difference. When it

To use the term 'Black' to discuss everything 'other' then you could say Black history is every cultural and ethnic history but White. And if that is the history up for discussion it may be better to use another term other than 'black'.

I agree with Arthur, BASA is in a position to lead in this debate and should.

Ruth