Dear Helmut, and all,

Given what you said about identification of Brassicaceae, would a DNA-based assay be of interest?  We are working on some assays for other genera at the moment, based on species-specific polymorphisms, and the results are very promising with desiccated material up to 2500yrs bp.  I have some experience with Brassica genomics, so I have some ideas of targets for an assay for Brassicaceae.  I wonder whether anyone would like to collaborate by offering small numbers of samples to test, if I do the work on the bioinformatics?  Desiccated seeds give the best chance of a good signal, and I have heard of charred material working, but I understand it can be very frustrating!

Dr. Jonathan Moore
Warwick HRI, UK