Giles Darkes

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:50:53 +0000From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Map 'Graphic Classics'To: [log in to unmask]

Giles and I discussed a little on Wednesday about the publisher’s apparent total parameters of this intended work.  It appears that oriental mapping, too, is wanted; otherwise, as I pointed out, a UK publisher would end up with yet another ‘Eurocentric’ promulgation of an idea.  And the publisher does have an ‘Eastern’ outlet.

So far (working from fading memory of some of those who have responded on list) we have combinations of the following:-

Britain ; London Underground ; Projections (politically contentious or not) ; Antarctica ; USA ; Moon ; Geology ; OS ; Lake District (walking) ; Disease (cholera only) ; GIS & web (hence more ephemeral?) ; Weather ; Atlas (Renaissance) ; Population density ; Relief representation (Scotland, Ireland, etc.) ; Two-dimensional of Edinburgh (why not, therefore, Thomas Hornor?) ; Bathymetry ; Historical cartography (chronological  dev., Edinb.) ; statistics (as but one basis of the thematic mapping/charting explosion in the 19tth century) ; specific persons ; etc.

In order to be global as possible Giles might have to work out something like a ‘grid’ that encompasses items throughout variegated space, time, culture, subjects/themes, cartographic methods/techniques (WW1 trench mapping and the ‘off the back of a wagon’ forced ingenuity).  Even if the ‘innovation’ was/is a manuscript it doesn’t automatically follow that few people saw it (presentation at a Royal Society meeting or at RGS) and assume that it didn’t have an influence beyond those four walls.  What about education ; blind ; soils ; fire risk (including British military ‘flammability’ maps of to-be-bombed enemy towns) and/or other ideas listed and documented in Cartographical Innovations ed. Robinson & Wallis (Map Collector Pubs for ICA, 1987)?  The trouble might be, that the publisher wants only a ‘pretty’ book to make it sell!

Francis Herbert (who patently hasn’t committed himself to suggest a single specific map . . .)

-----Original Message-----From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Giles DarkesSent: 29 January 2008 21:44To: [log in to unmask]: Re: Map 'Graphic Classics'

Many thanks to all those who have responded to my request for suggestions for what might be considered map 'graphic classics'. There have been some very useful suggestions, pointing me in directions I hadn't previously considered, so I shall continue to do some investigation.  It's interesting to note just how varied are the forms of cartography being suggested, which I think is all to the good.  Some of the modern forms of mapping, including Google Earth and Danny Dorling's cartograms look like becoming classics, hence they're certainly worthy of consideration. If you have any more suggestions, I'd still be very happy to receive them. Again thanks. Giles Darkes

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!
Who's friends with who and co-starred in what?
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml