Really sad news. ARG changed my life. Both the novels and his films really changed the way I though about what a film/novel should or could be. I also think his work and in particular Marienbad is SO very relevant to new media principles as defined by Manovich.

I'd love to see or contribute to a special edition of a journal on ARG...????

Nic

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:25:42 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: FILM-PHILOSOPHY robbe-grillet
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi all,
> sad to hear of the death, at 85, of Alain Robbe-Grillet, his contribution to cinema, my personal history of cinema, is paramount.
> The challenge of his work is still evident in the discussions he promotes amongst my film students. And Marienbad has become a
> touchstone for many of us over the years. My favourite memory , if you will indulge me, was at the Sussex University Film Society
> circa 1977 when my friend Nigel Floyd and I decided on a screening of Marienbad, I dutifully introduced the film to about, if
> memory serves, 100 members and then our 16 mil. copy began to roll, no subtitles, Nigel and I exchanged glances and shrugged
> shoulders and sat back to enjoy its hypnotic, some might say soporific powers. The film ended, we smiled at each other with
> undergraduate satisfaction, turned around (we sat at the front..there is a debate, where do we sit?) to gauge the impact on our
> fellow viewers, the auditorium was empty, we had lost our audience, a wonderful, almost hilarious moment, yes Robbe-Grillet and
> all his pals will long have a glorious role in cinema history.
> peace
> alan
>
> A. Fair
> IDS
>
> Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you
> should read the Manchester Metropolitan University's email
> disclaimer available on its website
> http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer
>
> *
> *
> Film-Philosophy salon
> After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to.
> To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]
> Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
> For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
> *
> Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com
> Contact: [log in to unmask]
> **

She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star! * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **