FW: Any ideas for a practical aesthetics?

Hello Per,

Yes, I think, this is a very interesting topic. I have talked with a colleague here in the UK about practical frameworks for the (visual + other) analysis of design/3D objects, which perhaps is looking at the same problem from a different angle.

I am not aware that there is a unified theory, but there are certainly a number of building blocks, such as
- semiotics (visual analysis in terms of symbolic etc meaning)
- (product) semantics (visual analysis with regard to function and use - which could perhaps be extended into an analysis of the aesthetic experience of use)
- colour theory,
- theories about proportion ( e.g. golden section)
- theories about static and dynamic
etc.

Would this be a start, or do I completely miss your point?

Best wishes,
Kristina

Dr Kristina Niedderer
Reader in Design and Applied Arts