You would probably be surprised how many people ARE buried with grave goods - certainly in my families recent bereavement, my mother had all the letters from my father that she had kept in with her when she was buried and my son who died as a baby had a selection to make archaeologists of the future think - a set of silver bangles (adult size) - because he like to watch them and listen to the noise they made, a replica of a Roman tree of life ring I gave my wife when he was due, a wooden rattle (made by a wood turner friend of ours), a minature George Medal and NI medal from his godfather, plus the outfit he was wearing.

-----Original Message-----
From: British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of TOMS, Katherine
Sent: 13 February 2008 11:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Arthur and sacrificial lake offerings

But just because we don't do something anymore doesn't mean it was never
done. Why shouldn't a King or knight throw their weapons away to prevent
them from being used, or as an offering?

We don't, as a rule, bury people with grave goods anymore either.

Katherine Toms
Assistant Aerial Survey Officer
Exmoor National Park Authority

c/o English Heritage