Bill aims for independent Film and Sound Archives
ABC Online - Australia
Federal Labor has introduced a bill in the House of Representatives to make
the National Film and Sound Archives in Canberra an independent
institution. ...
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/20/2168153.htm>

JPEG 2000 'A Great Step Forward for the Archival Community' Says ...
Newswire Today (press release) - London,UK
The report concludes that JPEG 2000 represents a great stride forward for
the archival community. The format now allows for greater compression rates
and a ...
<http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/30179/>

PINE RECORD COLLECTOR SELLING 'HISTORY OF MUSIC'
Paul Mawhinney, the owner or Record Rama Sound Archives, estimates his collection is worth at least $50 million. The collection features 3 million record albums and 300,000 CDs including rare and out-of-print titles.

<< http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/music/s_547964.html>>

Where Do the Footprints of Metadata Lead?
Marcia Coyle
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

State bar ethics committees, facing numerous requests for guidance from lawyers, increasingly are examining the ghostly footprints of electronic metadata -- often with widely varying results.

"When I first gave a lecture on metadata four years ago, there was only the New York ethics opinion," recalled legal ethics scholar Andrew M. Perlman of Suffolk University Law School. "In the last year, there has been four or five more. In the next three to four years, I expect we will see an explosion of opinions. This is just beginning."

<< http://www.law.com/jsp/ltn/pubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1203430076731>>

Library and Archives Canada Invites its Users to Take Part in ...
Market Wire (press release) - USA
20, 2008) - Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is launching a public
consultation initiative that aims to get feedback on how it serves the
public. ...
<http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=823251>

Addict 3D, Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:31 PM PST

Library of Congress sells itself out to Microsoft for a mere $3 mil

http://www.addict3d.org/news/305425/Library%20of%20Congress%20sells%20itself%20out%20to%20Microsoft%20for%20a%20mere%20$3%20mil

Rogue archivist Carl Malamud writes: Paul Jones of iBiblio tipped me off to some

recent M&A activity by Microsoft, this time involving the Library of Congress.

The Huntsville Times, Wed, 20 Feb 2008 2:32 AM PST

Photographs document Anniston attack on Freedom Riders in 1961

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1203502555164390.xml&coll=1

It was the kind of phone call that archivists dream about, said Laura Anderson, describing the call she received from an Anniston law firm. The firm told

Anderson they had a collection of old photographs documenting the attack on a

Freedom Ride bus that occurred in Anniston on Mother's Day in 1961.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va