Hello all, and Happy New Year!
Some things never change ... Here is notification and link for a gvt ESOL consultation. Deadline for responses is 4 April. Also, here is a link to the BBC story relating to this.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7170125.stm
(Thanks Karen Dudley, Melanie Cooke and Ivelina Metchkarova-Taylor for forwarding these)
James

_______

Dear All,

I am pleased to let you know that the ESOL consultation was announced today by John Denham, Secretary of State for DIUS.  You can find a copy of the document on our website at esolconsultation.org.uk.

Should you have any questions about the consultation, please contact me on 0203 300 8267 or by email.

Happy new year and best wishes.

Louise Robinson

Further Education and Skills Group
Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills

020 3300 8267 / 07747 762841

*****

[Press release relating to this:]

Funding for For English Classes to be Retargeted to Aid Integration

Public funding for English language teaching should be targeted where it will have the biggest impact on community cohesion and integration, Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills, John Denham announced today." Local communities are best placed to understand what will best promote community cohesion and integration in their area. In this consultation we are asking local authorities and other groups how they would prioritise ESOL funding to achieve these aims."

Today's consultation seeks to take these reforms further and is seeking views on:

*	a new national approach to funding ESOL to help prioritise funding and ensure local areas develop plans which identify the needs of vulnerable people, such as legal residents who might be expected to stay in the country for the foreseeable future, excluded women, particularly those with young children, and refugees who have established their right to remain in the UK;
*	suggested new national priorities for ESOL while local areas take responsibility to target funding to best meet the needs of their communities;
*	the role of the voluntary and community sector in the provision of ESOL; and
*	what incentives should be provided to employers to encourage them to contribute to their employees' ESOL needs.

http://www.dius.gov.uk/

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to