Hello all,

Sorry for being so quiet for a while. Hope everyone is well.

Thanks Rebekah for re-opening the discussion about conferences.
I've filled in the survey, but am also happy to say on the list that I prefer the idea of an independent, annual conference, though I recognise that it is difficult to organise for one small group.

At the last conference we talked about the possibility of a collaborative approach with people from across the network contributing to different aspects of organising the conference. I think this could work fairly well if we were able to identify someone to co-ordinate, and ensure that all the delegated tasks were being done. Also take the pressure off any one small local group.

I also wanted to mention that I'm on an email distribution list from JRF, and there have been a couple of calls lately for proposals for funding in relation to poverty:

http://www.jrf.org.uk/research-funding/calls/identifying-success.asp
http://www.jrf.org.uk/research-funding/calls/participation-in-media.asp
http://www.jrf.org.uk/research-funding/calls/attitudes-to-inequality.asp
http://www.jrf.org.uk/research-funding/calls/poverty-impact-assessment.asp

All deadlines coming up in mid-late February. I'm not in a position to submit anything myself, but perhaps others on the list may be?

Best wishes & happy new year,

Wendy

Rebekah Pratt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We didn't really get very far on the idea of the next UKCP conference!
Something to do with the time of year we started the discussion I'm sure!

To help move the discussion on a little, Grant and I have a brief and rather
basic way to ask for a show of hands. We have a few questions to ask you
all using a survey tool that comes along with the JISC discussion forum
function. We thought this might allow a wider range of people to just give
an initial response about some of the issues that have arisen, being:
- do we meet annually or biannually
- should we meet independently or as part of another event
- what do people think of the proposal to meet in Edinburgh this September
(particularly if we can avoid clashing with other key dates mentioned)

The 'survey' should take only a minute to complete and will be open for one
week. We will feed the responses back the to the list after that. We hope
this will help keep the discussion moving along whilst offering a way for
more people to indicate their preferences. It would be really great if you
could all just take a moment to fill it in!

Thanks,

Rebekah