Re: [ccp4bb] crystallization robot

The Gilson crystallisation robots (horrible machines: no longer available) were specific for hanging drops – other robots can set them up (using the Mosquito sheets or equivalent), but the flipping will have to be done by hand.  The Douglas Instrument machines can basically pipette onto anything you want, as it is a one-by-one dispense.  You still have to flip by hand.  The Mosquito has the ability to do a ‘mirror’ transfer – which makes the setup of hanging drops easy, as it compensates for the inversion that you necessarily get when you flip the piece of plastic (it’s a good idea to flip the plastic around the same axis as the mirror function, BTW).

If you want to use this arrangement on the phoenix then you will need to make up a plate or block with the crystallisation solutions mirrored, and set up a protocol where the normal array is transferred from the storage block into the experimental plate reservoirs, and then the mirrored array of crystallisation solutions is used to make up the crystallisation droplets.  Certainly do-able, but it means that you need TWO source blocks for each screen that you want to set up this way.  Best of luck keeping that working in a multi-user lab!

We have both a Mosquito and a Phoenix (and an older Cartesian 16+1), and I could not recommend one over the other of the first two machines – they are both easy to use, but they do different things well.  The Mosquito can deal with difficult samples (protein which is crashing out of solution, for example).  We have been able to set up protein which gelled to the consistency of hair-gel with our gnat.  The Phoenix does not dispense viscous samples well from the nano-tip (anything over 10% glycerol is really iffy, for example), but doesn’t require the protein to be aliquoted out into 8 separate puddles.  The Cartesian was always a bitch to get running, so given the other two machines, it sits and collects dust.  Anybody want to start negotiating for a (slightly) used Cartesian?

Janet

Janet Newman

CSIRO Molecular and Health Technologies

343 Royal Parade