  From: Mark Weiss
  To: RUPERT MALLIN ; [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:04 PM
  Subject: Re: 20th Century Long Poems

  Recipe? (seriously)

  Nobody's mentioned the problem with short poems. They're so...short.

  Mark

  At 11:41 AM 1/6/2008, RUPERT MALLIN wrote:

    Brilliant!

    I've done some 'group' poetry readings recently and before the readings I've said to the other three poets: We read just three poems each. Agreed?"

    They agree. Then some sort of weird red poetry mist descends on each of them and they read four or five poems each. Worse, the introductions to their poems are longer than the poems themselves!  Actually, it would be brilliant if the readings just consisted of their introductions with the poems taken out, replaced by silence or my excellent recipe for artichoke and carrot soup.

    Best, Rupert