From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Peter Riley
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Love Poems

I don't know how people make such cast-iron divisions between the self and the exterior. I mean if there is an impasse perhaps it would help to question this and to consider instead that the self is multiform and porous and the exterior passes into it to the extent that there is an extensive shared territory or no-man's-land. Sometimes this seems like the earthly paradise, sometimes it seems like the mud-flats of the east Norfolk coast.  For some poets it is obviously the battlefields of the Middle East. I think this space is primarily the territory in which poetry operates.

Peter