Dear Colleagues

I’d be grateful for your views and institution’s practices on the submission by students of evidence in support of extenuating circumstance applications, and specifically where the application is made on the basis of the death of a relative or friend.

Norwich School of Art and Design has in the past asked to see a copy of the death certificate where a student’s relative has died and extenuating circumstances are being applied for, or in the case of a friend’s death, other documentary evidence.  Given how sensitive such requests are, however, and how insensitive they may appear to be to the student, I wondered how other institutions deal with this?  Do you take the word of the student as sufficient proof?

Any responses would be gratefully received.

Regards

Graham Tomlinson

Assistant Registrar: Academic Support

Academic Registry