Thanks Sabina: I've been very impressed with the feedback you all have been
giving.  It pleases me, because I really don't want to change the topic just
now... there's still so much to investigate.  My advisor indicated that I
might need to look elsewhere if I don't find more materials.  I've got
several books en route from Amazon, so I'm hoping either these texts (or
their bibliographies) will give me enough to grab on to.  Thank you for your
suggestion too of the title by Mary Douglas.  I'll go looking for it at the
library.

Thanks again for the push... I had begun to think I should just throw in the
towel.  It's funny that you should mention the comparison with the lack of
"witch hunting" in Ireland, since there seems to be a marked relationship
culturally between the Irish and the Gallegos.  Some of the legends seem to
only have correspondences with Irish legends.  Fascinating stuff...

Anyway, thanks again.
John