Dear ryan,

it seems that the images you're trying to realign are too much different.
Dont forget that the realign inn spm is just there to correct minimal deviation or rotation of your functionnal images.
If , for example, you're trying to realign images from different subjects that had their head in a totally different position, then
the realign option wont work.
Cheers,

Rodolphe.