Most of our Departments give out some sort of environmental and cultural
awareness messages to our students be it through formal modules or the
general "mind expanding" experience of engaging the interest and enthusiasm
of younger minds. Yet despite this culture of encouraging an interest in and
concern about the world around us it is less clear to me that as
Institutions we consistently try to lead by example, somehow feeling that
standing on the ramparts of our ivory towers and shouting out
instructions/questions to the proles outside is enough so long as we also
"open the minds" of those coming through our doors. I appreciate this is a
gross and unfair characterisation of Geography Departments up and down the
land, but in my experience the sense of the academy being outside of the
society it is researching and applying a different set of criteria to its
decision making processes persists.

With this in mind I wanted to ask members of the Forum, just out of
interest, about the undergraduate field work element of your Departments
geography teaching (phys and human).  I never undertook a Geog BA/BSc and
have recently learned as a result I missed out on an essential learning
opportunity, namely the overseas field work assignment. From colleagues I
understand that the choice of overseas field work location is one of the
many factors that play a part in deciding upon which establishments to apply
to.

Whilst I am sure studying people and places in foreign climes is an
essential element of the learning experience of studying for a geography
degree it does raise the thorny question of whether we might be sending some
mixed measures as an academy here. In the light of the climate change debate
and its increasingly paradigmatic and over-riding nature just how do our
respective Geography departments justify a) to their students, b) to
themselves and c) to the wider community in which they are embedded their
decision to plan a 1st , 2nd or 3rd year module around a visit to New
Zealand, Outer Mongolia or Cancun?

I also have a suspicion that, as well a selling point for recruitment, the
periodic field trip is something that "just is" - that despite the mantra of
embedding reflexivity in social research and practice maybe its not applied
at the level of Institutional practice, as though somehow the Departments we
are embedded in are nothing to do with our research.

So I'd be interested to hear about the range of overseas locations and
numbers of students travelling to them that any of your institutions use
annually, and the sort of logics and justifications used by your Departments
in relation to any of the three audiences identified above.  In addition if
any of your Depts have an environmental policy or Environmental Management
System it would be interesting to hear of examples of this changing practice
in regard to field work or ways in which the institution has managed to
integrate the field trips with the EMS without substantially changing
practice.

Anecdotal responses welcome.

If I get enough replies I might try and calculate some sort of generic
Carbon footprint for these exercises a) to circulate later for discussion,
b) to circulate at the RGS-IBG Annual conference. At the very least I hope
we might get some discussion going on whether we do enough as a discipline
to demonstrate the very concrete ways in which geography matters.

 Cheers,

Marc Welsh

IGES

Llandinum Building