Just before everybody gets too excited and starts signing things left right
and centre without finding out what this is about, Roy Clare has just given
me permission to repost this here. Its from Dec 8th:

Thank you for writing to me to express your concerns about the future of the
Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS). The lead partners (the Museums, Libraries
and Archives Council (MLA) and the British Museum (BM)) recognise that PAS
is an important national scheme in England and Wales. PAS has strong
professional and scholarly relevance to the work of museums and to the study
of archaeology. The primary aim of the scheme - to record archaeological
objects found by the public - is complemented by outreach activities that
extend the benefits to wider audiences in the context of work by museums.
Backed by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (from where the
funding originates), the MLA is currently evaluating its own operations and
the entire span of its programmes to ensure that every area is delivered
effectively and efficiently and in a way that gains the best value for
public money. As part of the overall process we have indicated our intention
to take stock of PAS and in particular to consider whether there is scope to
strengthen its day to day relationship with regional museums and further
develop its outreach potential. Details will be announced shortly, but in
principle the review of regional impact will be led jointly by the MLA and
BM and will include members of the Portable Antiquities Advisory Group.
Consultation will be planned with local authorities, regional museums and
partners in the posts funded by the PAS. A report would be expected by the
summer of 2008. A key assumption of the review is that the BM would continue
to manage the PAS and retain scholarly leadership of it, setting the
professional standards that assure its authority. Pending the outcome of the
review the MLA has already stated publicly that funding will be maintained
at 2007/8 levels for the financial year 2008/9. Beyond that, funding has
been earmarked for two further years and would be confirmed in light of the
findings of the review. I hope that this information is helpful to you in
setting straight recent erroneous reports and placing the issue in a more
constructive context.

Roy Clare
Chief Executive - Museums, Libraries and Archives Council