One reason to register common permutations of a domain is to prevent
them from being hijacked and used in ways you would not like.

The domain registrar process originally created for the Internet has
dramatically changed in the last few years.  Originally, if you were in
the UK with a UK IP address, you could only register via the official UK
registrar.  But that is all gone now and anyone can register anywhere
they want.  So, its easy for instance to register an originally
Tuvalu-based domain name (.tv) for a UK-based server. This change opened
the door for new companies like GoDaddy.com to offer much cheaper domain
names. But, the downside is that many, many entrepreneurs (Cayman
Islands is a common address for them) have entered this new open field
and licensed themselves as registrars and then proceeded to "lock down"
thousands and thousands of domain names using computer algorithms, web
searches, etc.  These thousands of domains are free to them because they
have basically paid one low license fee to be able to create unlimited
domains but they then squat on them and wait to negotiate for ransom. As
well, to avoid being accused of squatting which is now allowed, they
have created systems that automatically turn these thousands of domains
into functioning websites with tabs, search and hyperlinks. (Try
www.smithsonian.info or www.smithsonian.net but watch out for the
popups.  The Smithsonian Institution has no association with these but
is powerless except to click on the "contact the registrar" link which
appears on almost all these sites and then negotiate a fee.) And therein
lies the peril for a cultural institution - that hijacked website with
the institution's name on it might link to things you wouldn't want your
institution associated with.  And you are powerless to stop it without
paying a "ransom".

So, registering the permutations of a name (.org, .com, .net, .info
being the most common) and just leaving them "under construction" may be
preferrable to leaving them open to hijackers.

Chuck

Chuck Miller
Vice President, IT
Missouri Botanical Garden