[Please forward]

"Move into the Light?: Postscript to a turbulent 2007"

By Turbulence

At the beginning of 2007, the Turbulence collective commissioned 14 articles from around the global 'movement of movements', asking authors: "What would it mean to win?" We edited their responses into a newspaper and printed 7,000 copies, most of which were distributed at the mobilisation against the G8 summit in Heiligendamm, Germany, in June. A few months later, we want to return to the question of winning.
As we resume our search it's no surprise that we keep coming across the problem of visibility. When we think about winning, our eyes are drawn to things that are highly visible or easy-to-measure, such as institutional or legislative change, the opening of a social centre or an increase in membership. That's where the light is. But we also need to assess victories in the less tangible though just as real realm of possibilities. Winning in this realm may involve increased potential, changes in perception or patterns of behaviour. Yet these seem to exist at the very edge of the luminous zone.
This problem leads into another: our experiences create their own luminosity and consequently their own areas of darkness. When we think about winning we are drawn to movements, people and events that are familiar to us; and we have expectations about how things should turn out if they are to constitute a victory.
So how can we overcome our night-blindness once we move beyond the familiar?...

To read more, go to: http://www.turbulence.org.uk/moveintothelight.html

To download the new Turbulence booklet, "Move into the Light?", as a PDF go to: http://www.turbulence.org.uk/Resources/postscript_1107.pdf

To help distribute the booklet, or to offer a translation, please write to: [log in to unmask]
A web-banner linking directly to the article can also be downloaded from: http://www.turbulence.org.uk/Resources/banner_234x60.jpg

Copies of the booklet can be ordered via our website, www.turbulence.org.uk

And, as ever, we're keen for comments, criticism and feedback on the text.
The Editors

www.turbulence.org.uk