It’s possible that they consider a crime may be/have been committed. If the child is old enough then I would contact them.

As for releasing when the police make a request, then all I can say is NO, NOT EVERY TIME. The police, bless them, are very good at indulging in “fishing trips”, and each request should be considered on its own merits and just because it is the police it makes no difference. They must (every time) justify the request, although in some cases this must be done quickly, however the ones that require a rapid reaction are generally obvious (but not always).

Such a request should always come via a senior officer too. I have dealt with a few instances where PC’s have walked into a hospital ward and put pressure on nurses to release information to which they are  not entitled....  Nothing said this job would be easy!

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Casillas, Mojgan
Sent: 02 November 2007 09:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Section 29

Morning all,

We have just had a request for section 29(3) not criminal,  Parents had reported their child Missing but they were attending classes.

After contacting the ICO one manager was told to release the info and when I range, I was told to consult with individual and then release based on individual wishes.

Has anyone had to deal with a section 29(3) were it is not involving criminals?  Right now I'm being told when the police make a request then we release.

Any comments on the above or the inconsistency of the ICO?

Many thanks

Mojgan

the sender.

Stockport College was established under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 and is an exempt charity for the purposes of the Charities Act 1993.

Stockport College, Wellington Road South, Stockport. SK1 3UQ

VAT Registration 611574558

Save the Trees: Don’t print me please

   _____

All archives of messages are stored permanently and are available to the world wide web community at large at HYPERLINK "http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/data-protection.html"http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/data-protection.html

*	Leaving this list: send leave data-protection to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]&BODY=LEAVE%20data-protection"[log in to unmask]
*	Suspending emails from all JISCMail lists: send SET * NOMAIL to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]&BODY=SET%20*%20NOMAIL"[log in to unmask]
*	To receive emails from this list in text format: send SET data-protection NOHTML to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]&BODY=SET%20data-protection%20NOHTML"[log in to unmask]
*	To receive emails from this list in HTML format: send SET data-protection HTML to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]&BODY=SET%20data-protection%20HTML"[log in to unmask]

All user commands can be found at HYPERLINK "http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm"http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]

Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list owner HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]

(Please send all commands to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask] not the list or the moderators, and all requests for technical help to HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask], the general office helpline)

   _____

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.