-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Howarth
Sent: 23 November 2007 22:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Child Protection records

Sarah,

I haven't looked anything up, but I believe there will be certain
statutory requirements in terms of the Childrens' Act, and Acts that
govern adoptions and children that are orphaned (I think the termed is
"looked after by the authority", these days). I thought some of these
records had to exist for more than 24 years?

I would be very surprised at "3 years", and question when the timer
starts for this. As if a record becomes inactive for any reason when the
child is, say 7 years old, then the record could be destroyed and
valuable information lost if they resurface at 10 or 11. However, if it
was 3 years after the child turns 18, then that might be more
acceptable, however I would still suggest a longer time period in case
the child now turned adult raises some issues (abuse etc.), where such
records would be important.

I would talk to health and social care professionals and perhaps check
for council/NHS retention guidelines to get a feel and see if the laws
mentioned above are relevant (I think they will be, and I think there
will be more of them).

Regards,

Simon Howarth.