-----Original Message-----
From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kirsteen Coupar email
Sent: 14 November 2007 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Postgraduate and over 25's accommodation

I'm afraid I'm asking for more help and opinions regarding age.  I have
a tight deadline to get our Age policy into Council in December, but
issues keep cropping up and the latest is that we have some student
accommodation which is reserved for postgraduate students and over 25's.

Initially i thought it would be quite easy to tackle this problem, as I
assumed it was to provide 'quiet' or 'sedate' accommodation and thought
we could have a quiet option for residential students, but it turns out
it is more complex.

Our planning consent from the local authority for this residential
accommodation was based on the agreement for over 25's accommodation
following consultation with vocal local residents.  It looks like we
will have to go back to the local authority (who, of course, are bound
by the same equality legislation we are!)

What I wanted to check was, if we remove the requirement for over 25's,
can we still keep it for postgraduate students only?  My initial
thinking, is yes, we can, but I am slightly worried that we could be
challenged that we are in fact indirectly imposing a barrier based on
age, as being postgraduate normally necessitates a certain amount of
study and therefore a certain aged student. Are we just using age as a
separating factor and calling it something different to hide the fact?

My feeling is that a postgraduate hall of residence is something
different than an over 25's hall of residence, but just wondered if
anyone else had any experience of something similar or anything useful
to add.

Thanks all

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Coupar