Hi Verina et al,

It's interesting that you picked up on the works that used simplified forms
of interaction (multiple choice) or paradigmatic as in space invaders or
duck hunt (gun game)

These simplified forms of interaction offer very little barrier or learning
curve as they are already part of most viewers cultural language. This begs
the question as to how complex does a piece of software art or other
interactive work need to be to, at the interface level, to produce a
significant and functional whole. The need to learn an interface to fully
interact, with it can be an issue. We are back to the notion of time, a
viewer 'learning' a work before they can actually 'play' the work. Much has
been written about in-game tutorials, but I guess a gallery work needs to be
an instant 'hit', avoiding long learning curves or more subtle mechanics..

This echoes Nintendo's strategy with more casual and instant gaming
regarding the Nintendo DS with it's touch screen and the WII with it's
gestural controller.

I'm really enjoying being able engage with videogame art as it offers
allsorts of dialogues around existing media art. Media art has always had a
playful and interactive nature that may be discussed through video games
dialogues in a surprisingly affective/effective way.. I dunno.

Glad you enjoyed Zero Gamer and that it threw up a few questions. I agree
with you that the non-interaction places the viewer in a more reflexive
position that actually gaming might not. Arching narratives are only really
consciously acknowledged by the gamer when they are out of the gaming
experience itself. A footballer responds to the games flow whilst a
spectator engages with the games narratives more so than a live sports
commentator, who is arguably in a similar position to the player, creating
texts that become narratives..can't you tell that I'm more of a ludologist?

However...BIG HOWEVER!!!, playable games, proper, good 'ole fashioned
interactive stuff, should not be dismissed as fostering a lesser form of
reflection, it's just that the actual reflection mainly occurs post game..

Btw games are interactive by default apart from zero player games, and even
in this context there are agents that 'play' within a set of rules that are
ludic if not necessarily goal oriented

Best ....and hopefully making some sense

Corrado