As most of you know, I am not a medievalist, but rather a hagiographer with an emphasis on modern times.  I am hoping that one of you will be able to give me a clue as to something that is confusing to me.  I am an ardent mystery reader and have recently been enjoying several series set in medieval times. Not only are they great entertainment, but also have ingested a lot of history this way since several of the authors are themselves well acquainted with the time periods they write about.  Most recently have been enjoying Susanah Gregory's books set in Cambridge in mid 1300s.  Apparently in this time period there was a constant dislike in the University towns -- the townspeople distrusted and didn't like the scholars and vice versa.  Would anyone care to give me an encapsulated "short course" in why this was so?
Thanks,
Ann