From: John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>

> It is a peculiar (and probably peculiarly French) use of the term "direct" -

> one suspects that it loses something in the translation, as the Houses of
Valois and Bourbon were also descended "directly" from Hugh Capet.

i'm afraid i don't understand the objection to the "direct" usage to designate
the kings who were descended "directly" via the male line.

distaff descent is, as it were, "indirect."

From: André-Yves BOURGES <[log in to unmask]>

> More and more French medievalists are using the  name "Robertiens"
(Robertians) instead of "Capetiens" (Capetians).

i have not noticed this, in my reading of the secondary literature (admitedly,
usually of the older works, however).

seems to me that "Robertians" should refer to the guys before Hugh Capet,
"Capetians" to those after him (jusqu'a les Valois), since the dynasty was
only firmly established by Hugh.

> For prosopographical matters, I personnaly use  the website of Medieval
> Lands, whic still styles the French Kings dynasty as  "Capet":
> _http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CAPET.htm_
> (http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CAPET.htm)

looks like an *excellent* site --lots of families there and a careful
attention to documentation (including both primary sources and quite recent
secondary source discussions) which is rarely seen on most genealogy sites.

many thanks, André-Yves!

of especial interest to those who might be interested in regional genealogies,
such as that of Central France

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CENTRAL%20FRANCE.htm#_Toc148934734

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]